Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Not Alone Series: favorite resources!

Welcome back to another week of the Not Alone Series!

Thanks to everyone for putting up with my tardiness...I was half-way through this week's episode of The Bachelorette during my lunch break when I realized that today was Tuesday. Oiy vey. I blame it on my move this week and this weekend's baptism festivities.

Hokay. Now onto the good stuff. This week we're talking about our favorite resources!


I love music more than most things in this beautiful world and so it should come as no surprise that most of my favorite resources are songs.

The first song I LOVE is Beloved by Tenth Avenue North. This song played a huge part in my discernment story and it has helped me so much to understand the love of our Lord for us...as well as how that relates into marital love.





I've always been a fan of Matt Maher, and especially when I found out that he's indeed Catholic! I saw him in a small concert the local Christian radio station had last year and he told the story of his song My Only Love...he wrote it when he was single and was longing for his future wife, but just recorded it now. I think it's so beautiful and really encompasses the love I feel for my husband, wherever he is...





As Long as our Hearts are Beating by Jenny and Tyler gives me chills. It's very lovely and passionate. I also saw them in a small concert during college and they're as sweet as can be...and have a brand new baby girl! Stephanie from Captive the Heart talked about this song in one of her posts and I couldn't agree more with her review of this song:

"...so wondrously expresses the pure love between a bride and bridegroom. It's about really seeing the person you love, not just in body but in entirety. I ache."




And this last one is just fun. I'm a Keeper by The Band Perry describes my life right now. I LOVE rocking out to it. The free-ness it embodies is something I can totally relate to.




Ok, so as far as other resources go, I really loved the book Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge. While I can't say that I agree or enjoy everything about this book, overall, I found it to be very lovely and encouraging.


Among many others, I really love this part:

(in speaking about beauty) "There is a radiance hidden in your heart that the world desperately needs."

Yes.

And while I felt awkward reading it at first, Christopher West's Good News About Sex and Marriage is faaabulous. It really broke down a lot of my walls and preconceived notions about chastity as well as sex within marriage.


But one of my FAVORITE favorites is a book I got about a year ago to deal with all of those pesky FOCUS missionaries doing summer training here. So. difficult. It's a book called The Dating Fast by Katherine Becker. It's an amazing book to help you "reclaim your heart, body, and soul". I love it. A lot.
And you can buy it here!


Alrighty, well that's all I've got for now...I feel like I'm forgetting something but if so I guess I'll just have to write another post! :) Link up your favorite resources post below!

------------

next week's topic:
Envy and Singlehood
Interpret as you like...


August 13: Challenge week!!!
Write about whatever you challenged yourself to do in order to take a step toward your vocation whether it be marriage or religious life! Can't wait to read what y'all did!


We're running out of topics, people!
Email us your ideas!!!




5 comments:

  1. Yes. Just yes...to all of it! I LOVE Beloved...that song can just bring me to tears every. single. time.

    I love the Matt Maher song too :)

    Captivating...if I had to name one book that influenced my book the most it would be that one. In a heartbeat. Honestly, I like to call my book the Catholic version of Captivating ;-)

    Thanks for this fabulous list! I had an idea for the series the other day but forgot to write it down and now I can't remember it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Dating Fast!! I did it for Lent this year and was so so happy I had found it in time to do that! It was a great experience.

    Thanks for posting music too, I love finding new songs that can be encouraging and uplifting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tenth Avenue North and Matt Maher (he was at WYD) definitely, I don't know the others but I'll be spending some time getting to know the music.

    Captivating has been on my amazon wishlist for a while but I have never gotten it because they're not Catholic and I wasn't sure but I think I'll take another look. I'll have to take a look at The Dating Fast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, songs! I like to say that I am musically Ignatian. I think these will be on the playlist this afternoon at work. Had a low moment last night (more on that on my NAS tomorrow) and could really use some resources!

    ReplyDelete

Be my friend and leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...